Offering Comprehensive,Skilled Representation

Know Your Rights To Compensation After An Oklahoma Car Accident

It is actually very likely that at some point, you or a loved one will be in a car accident. When this happens, you need to know your rights to pursue compensation and what to do when the driver who caused the accident has little or no insurance.

At Swain Law Group in Norman, our team of experienced accident attorneys can explain your options. We will ensure that you get the medical care you need and that the correct amount of compensation for your injuries is pursued.

What are the most common injuries after a car accident?

While some injuries are obvious, such as broken bones, cuts and lacerations, others are not readily apparent. This is why you should always be checked out by a medical professional after any serious accident. If your car is damaged, it’s likely that you suffered some damage, too. There are things that you should do right after an accident.

Here are the most common injuries suffered during a car accident:

  1. Whiplash: This neck injury can cause debilitating headaches, loss of range of motion, memory problems, balance and vision issues.
  2. Neck and back injuries: These can affect movement. Some injuries are lifelong.
  3. Traumatic brain injuries: Also called TBIs, these are serious brain injuries.
  4. Internal injuries: These need to be diagnosed by a medical professional.
  5. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): It is not uncommon for people to have serious fears about driving again after an accident. A qualified mental health practitioner is required to assess and diagnose this.

Some injuries, such as blunt force trauma to the face, internal injuries and back and neck injuries, may require a surgery or surgeries. These mean time off from work and excruciatingly high medical bills. Insurance company representatives may make you an initial settlement offer that seems like a large sum of money. However, until you understand what the injury will truly cost you, it is unwise to accept any offer, either verbally or in writing. We will negotiate or litigate per your best interests.

How does MedPay affect a claim?

Anyone who owns an insured car in Oklahoma may also have a type of coverage known as medical payments coverage, or “MedPay.” MedPay pays for things such as:

  • Medical costs that happen due to car accidents
  • Funeral expenses
  • Burial expenses

You should check your policy to see if you have this type of coverage and what the limit is. Why? Because if you are in a serious accident (either when you’re in a vehicle or anytime you are on the road – even just while walking) and the other driver’s vehicle does not have insurance, then you will need to pursue a claim with your own insurance. Some important things to know about MedPay:

  • It does not matter who caused the accident when it comes to MedPay coverage.
  • It does not matter if you also pursue a claim from the other driver.
  • Unlike health insurance, there are no copays or deductibles with MedPay.

If you or a loved one was a passenger in a car or on a motorcycle, you should check if the driver of that car has MedPay coverage. You may be able to pursue more than one type of compensation. If you want to have coverage that you can depend on, you may want to consider adding MedPay to your current coverage.

Do I need to hire an attorney?

We believe that it is in your best interest to fully understand your rights and your options when it comes to dealing with the insurance company – whether that insurance company is your own or the other driver’s.

One thing is certain: The insurance company has savvy lawyers on its side. You can even out the scales by getting savvy legal representation on your side, too.

When considering hiring an attorney to represent your best interests, do not worry about payment. Injury cases are taken on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay us NOTHING unless we take your case and win a settlement (a negotiated deal outside of court) or a verdict (a decision made by a judge or jury).

We can help you if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured as well.

You Can Even Out The Scales Of Justice

Get the legal guidance and representation you need to even out the playing field after a car accident. Call our team in Norman at 405-546-1292 or send us a contact email indicating that you’d like more information. Six Oklahoma office locations to serve you.