Offering Comprehensive,Skilled Representation

Alternating weeks of custody may not be the best plan

On Behalf of | Mar 16, 2021 | Child Custody |

Residents of Oklahoma who are about to go through a divorce or recently went through one will want to read about why a weekly alternating plan may not be the best solution for their child custody concerns. This conclusion is the result of seeing children suffering with separation anxiety and the missing of a parent.

What is a parenting plan?

Parenting plans outline how the child will spend time with the separate parents as well as child-related expenses and more. Family law professionals often advise parents to negotiate alternating stays with each parent for the health of the child.

The physical, emotional and social needs of your child

A 50/50 co-parenting plan is typically recommended to let children know their parents care about them and still love them. Alternating weeks is often chosen as it is the simplest form for schedules. However, it may cause problems for children.

Missing the other parent

Going a full week without seeing their other parent may be hard on a child. They may feel detached, and separation anxiety may occur depending on the age of the child. If the two parents are not on good terms, this can prove difficult to manage. Since the child may want to call or have dinner with the other parent, tensions may rise between the two parents, affecting the child.


Two plans using the 50/50 arrangement are alternates. They are the following:

  • 2-2-3 schedule, which has your child spending two days with one parent, two days with the other parent and then three days with the first parent. On the following week, you reverse.
  • 3-4-4-3 schedule, which has your child spending three days with one parent and four days with the other parent. Then, you switch.

Other schedules are possible; the important issue is the welfare of the children. If you need help negotiating custody during a divorce or have family law questions, it is wise to consult an attorney who is experienced in this type of law.