Finding the right lawyer to defend you against DUI charges
Not all partnerships are meant to be. This is true in your personal life and in your professional life. It is also true if you ever need a defense against DUI charges in Oklahoma. Sometimes, a defendant and an attorney are incompatible even though the lawyer has a sterling reputation for success.
Unfortunately, you cannot always know the outcome of any partnership you create with a defense attorney. One way to offset the risk of an incompatible relationship is to do your research when looking for a professional to defend you against DUI charges. Use the following tips to help you narrow the field and improve your odds of cultivating a successful relationship with your chosen attorney.
- Write down what you want from your lawyer. This can include empathy, dedication to success and professionalism to name just a few.
- Make a list of questions to ask potential defense lawyers. Examples include how much experience the lawyer has and how many times his or her DUI defense was successful.
- Ask potential lawyers if they have any special training centered on the state's DUI laws.
- Find out if your candidates have more than one strategy for combating DUI charges. For example, if having the charges dismissed seems improbable, see how he or she feels about plea-bargaining on your behalf to lesser charges.
- When cost is a factor, learn as much as possible about each of your candidates' fee schedules
In the end, finding the attorney that can best protect your rights when facing DUI charges is a healthy goal to have. Doing a little bit of research can help you achieve your goals and protect your freedom.